Managing Emails in your Shared Mailbox
Every user can see the Shared Mailboxes in the left Gmail pane. In the following screenshot 'Support' is the Shared Mailbox.
An email that has reached the Shared Mailbox can have any of these three states.
- This is the default, initial status of an email in a Shared Mailbox. In other words, when a new email comes in a Shared Mailbox, then it is in the 'Open' state. The 'Open' state indicates that the email needs your attention.
- When an email/ email thread has reached its logical resolution, then the user can change its state to 'Closed'. The 'Closed' status indicates that the email is resolved.
- You can set an email/ email thread to 'Pending' state if you are waiting to hear back from a customer, or you just need to time to gather more information. This status can be set on emails where you have sent a reply but the complete resolution has not been done.
An email/ email thread can be in any one state (Open, Closed or Pending) at a time.
How to change the status of an email
Click on the dropdown on the Hiver widget on the right pane of Gmail to choose any option (Open, Closed or Pending).
When any new email reaches the Shared Mailbox, it appears in the 'Unassigned' section of the Shared Mailbox for all the users of the Shared Mailbox. You can assign an email to yourself or anyone else in your team.
How to Assign an email
- Click on the dropdown 'Unassigned' in the Hiver widget on the right pane of your Gmail to find a list of all the users in the Shared Mailbox to whom the email can be assigned.
- Select on any user to assign the email to.
When you assign the email to someone, it disappears from the 'Unassigned' section of the Shared Mailbox and appears in the Team folder of the Shared Mailbox. The person to whom you have assigned the email will also get a notification in their Gmail.
Find the emails assigned to you
Click on the 'Mine' link under your Shared Mailbox to see the emails which are 'open' and assigned to you
Locate 'Open', 'Closed' and 'Pending' emails
- All the 'open' and 'assigned' emails can be found in 'Team' folder of the Shared Mailbox
Find all Closed Emails in a Shared Mailbox
Click on the 'Closed' link under the Shared Mailbox to see the list of 'Closed' emails
When a new email arrives on a Closed email thread, Hiver will automatically 'Open' the whole thread under the name of the user to whom it was last assigned. The email will also show up in their Inbox.
Find all 'Pending' emails for a Shared Mailbox
Click on the 'Pending' label in the Shared Mailbox to see the list of 'Pending' emails
When a new email arrives on a 'Pending' email thread, Hiver will automatically 'Open' the whole thread under the name of the user to whom it was last assigned. The email will also show up in their Inbox.
While replying to or composing new emails, you can have the email id of the Shared Mailbox as the Sender's id.
To set this as the default behavior, you have to
- Click on the 'gear' icon of the Shared Mailbox to open the Settings page
- Click on the tab 'Advanced Settings'
- Enable the option 'Auto select Shared Mailbox email id on Compose'.
Even in case you have not set it as default, you can still send emails with the Shared Mailbox id as the Sender's id. To do so click on the FROM dropdown to select the Shared Mailbox email address.
Please note that this works only if your email id is already set up to send emails from the Shared Mailbox id. To learn more about this, please visit here.
The Collision Alert feature alerts you if you’re going to reply to an email in the Shared Mailbox that someone else is already replying to. This is very useful in customer support, where customer queries reach many agents, and anyone can start replying to any of the queries. This is how the collision alert looks like