Setting Up a Shared Mailbox
Hiver Shared Mailboxes can be used to manage shared email accounts like firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. By using Hiver, all the emails sent to a particular email id can be shared with a list of specified users. The replies sent by the users will also be shared with everyone automatically.
You should already have an email id that you want to set up as a Shared Mailbox. This email id can be of one of the following two types:
- Gmail or G Suite account (ie, you can actually login to Gmail using this email id)
- G Suite group or an Alias (ie, you forward emails sent to this email id to your account)
Create a new Shared Mailbox
To set up an email id as a Hiver Shared Mailbox
- Go to the Hiver Admin panel
- Go into the Shared Mailbox section from the left navigation
- Click on the button '+Create a new Shared Mailbox'
Fill in the page by entering the email id to be set as the Shared Mailbox, name of the Shared Mailbox and email ids of users who will have access to the Shared Mailbox. You can also type the email id of a user who is not on Hiver, in which case they will send them an email invite from Hiver.
Choose the type of email id that you had entered in the last step. The type can be either of these:
1) Gmail or G Suite accounts: This is a Gmail account that you have a password to, and can log in to access emails
2) Group or an Alias: This is a group or an alias account set up in your G Suite account, with users added to it. The group simply forwards the emails sent to it to the users added to the group. You'd need not have a password to this.
3. Verification of the email id to be set as Shared Mailbox
Verification of Gmail or G Suite accounts
For Gmail accounts, Hiver requires you to log into the account with a password. So, if you are setting up firstname.lastname@example.org as a Shared Mailbox, Hiver will require you to log into email@example.com with the Gmail or G Suite password for this account.
This is required for Hiver to be able to connect to this account, and share the emails received in this account with all users who are managing the shared mailbox.
Verification for Groups or an Alias email id
For Groups and Aliases, Hiver requires that the emails being sent to the email account being set up as Shared Mailbox are delivered to the Gmail account of the user doing the set up.
To take an example, if your Gmail account is firstname.lastname@example.org, and you are setting up email@example.com as a Shared Mailbox, Hiver requires that emails sent to firstname.lastname@example.org are delivered to email@example.com
Please make sure your group or alias is set up to forward emails to your email id for this to work correctly.
Once you have created your Hiver Shared Mailbox, you can add users to it.