Setting Up a Shared Mailbox
Hiver Shared Mailboxes are a great way to manage shared email accounts like firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. By using Hiver, you can easily share, delegate and keep track of email communication in your shared email accounts.
You should already have an email address that you want to set up as a Shared Mailbox. This email address can be of one of the following two types:
- Gmail or G Suite account (ie, you can actually login to Gmail using this email address)
- G Suite group or an Alias (ie, you forward emails sent to this email address to your account)
Set up a new Shared Mailbox
To set up an email address as a Shared Mailbox
- Click on the green gear icon on the Gmail and select 'Admin panel' to view the Hiver Admin Dashboard
- Click on the 'Shared Mailbox' tab to view the list of all Shared Mailboxes on the Hiver account
- Click on the prominent green button 'Create Shared Mailbox' to view the page for creating a Shared Mailbox.
1. Enter Email Address and the Name of the Shared Mailbox
Fill in the page by entering the email address to be set as the Shared Mailbox, the name of the Shared Mailbox and email addresses of users who will access and work on the emails in the Shared Mailbox.
2. Enter Type of account
Choose the type of email address that you had entered in the last step. The type can be either of these:
1) Gmail or G Suite accounts: This is a Gmail account that you have a password to, and can log in to access emails
2) Group or an Alias: This is a group or an alias account set up in your G Suite account, with users added to it. The group simply forwards the emails sent to it to the users added to the group. You'd need not have a password for this.
3. Verification of the email id to be set as Shared Mailbox
Verification of Gmail or G Suite accounts
For Gmail accounts, Hiver requires you to log into the account with a password. So, if you are setting up firstname.lastname@example.org as a Shared Mailbox, Hiver will require you to log into email@example.com with the Gmail or G Suite password for this account.
This is required for Hiver to be able to connect to this account and share the emails received in this account with all users who are managing the shared mailbox.
Verification for Groups or an Alias email address
For Groups and Aliases, Hiver requires that the emails being sent to the email account is set up as Shared Mailbox are delivered to the Gmail account of the user doing the setup.
To take an example, if your Gmail account is firstname.lastname@example.org, and you are setting up email@example.com as a Shared Mailbox, Hiver requires that emails sent to firstname.lastname@example.org are delivered to email@example.com
Please make sure your group or alias is set up to forward emails to your email address for this to work correctly.
4. Including Alias
A mailbox alias is any email address that automatically forwards messages to your main mailbox address. If you have one or more email addresses that auto-forward emails to the Shared Mailbox address then you should add them to the Alias field. You can include the alias information after the Shared Mailbox has been set up.
To do so,
- Click anywhere on the row of the Shared Mailbox( where you want to add the Alias) to open the options
- Click on the 'Alias' tab on the left to open the page where you can enter the alias for the Shared Mailbox id
You can start using your Shared Mailbox as soon as it is set up correctly. Learn more about managing emails in your Shared Mailboxes.