In this page
Updated by Deepanwita
You can see all the shared mailboxes of which you are a user in the left Gmail pane. The following image shows where you can find the shared mailbox 'Support' on your Gmail.
Status of emails
An email received in a shared mailbox can have any one of the three status:
Open : This is the initial status of an email received in a shared mailbox. The 'open' status indicates that the email needs your attention.
Closed : When an email has reached its logical resolution, then the user can change its status to 'Closed'. The 'Closed' status indicates that the email is resolved.
Pending : You can set an email to 'Pending' status when it is neither in open status nor is it resolved. You can use this status if you are waiting to hear back from a customer, or you just need to time to gather more information. This status can be set on emails where you have sent a reply but the complete resolution has not been done.
Change status of an email
Click on the dropdown on the Hiver widget on the right pane of Gmail to choose any option (Open, Closed or Pending).
An activity feed will get generated about the status change.
When any new email reaches the shared mailbox, it appears in the 'Unassigned' view of the shared mailbox for all the users of the shared mailbox. You can assign an email to yourself or anyone else in your team.
Assign an email to a user
1. Click on the dropdown 'Assign to' in the Hiver widget on the right pane of your Gmail to find a list of all the users in the shared mailbox to whom the email can be assigned
2. Select any user to assign the email.
When you assign an email to a user then
- the email disappears from the 'Unassigned' view and appears in the 'Team' view of the shared mailbox.
- the assignee will get a notification in her Gmail.
- you can opt to copy the email to the assignee's inbox on assignment. You can manage this through an account level option. Click here to learn more.
Reassign an email
You can reassign an already assigned email to another user. On doing so the new assignee will receive a notification in her Gmail. You can opt to copy the email to the new assignee's inbox. Click here to know more about this option.
You can choose whether or not you want the email to get removed from the previous user's inbox on reassignment. This can be managed through an option given in the shared mailbox settings. Click here to find how to do it.
Shared mailbox has different views to help you locate emails based on different conditions. Using views you can see emails based on the status(open, closed, pending), assignment(assigned to you or to other team members) as well as tags.
The default views of the shared mailbox which cannot be modified are
All Unresolved : You can find all the emails with open and pending status.
Unassigned : Here you can find all the emails that are open and not assigned to any user.
Mine : Here you can find all the open emails that are assigned to you.
Team : Here you can find all the open emails which are assigned.
Pending : Here you can find all the emails with status as pending.
Closed : Here you can find all the closed emails.
You can create your own custom views. You can click here to learn how to.
You can send replies to the emails received in the shared mailbox as well as compose new ones. The options available to you while sending emails are
1. Send emails with the shared mailbox id as the sender's id
While replying to or composing new emails, you can have the email id of the shared mailbox as the sender's id.
2. Send and Action
While replying to emails from your shared mailbox, you can opt to change the status of the email by choosing any of the options as given below
- Send : Send the reply and do not change the state or assignment
- Send and Close : Send the reply and 'close' the email and do not change the assignment
- Send and Pending : Send the reply, change the state to 'pending' and do not change the assignment
- Send and Close and Unassign : Send the reply, change the state to 'close' and 'unassign' the email.
You will be able to see the options by clicking on the small arrow to expand the dropdown.
3. Share Drafts
This feature lets you share Gmail drafts with your team-mates who are using the same shared mailbox.
To use this, click on the 'Share Draft' button while replying to an email. Click here to learn more.
Email templates let you save some text, and easily embed it into any email you are composing. You can share the saved templates with all the users on your Hiver account. We have the instructions on how to use this here.
This feature lets you schedule an email to be sent at a future time and date. Click here to learn how to use.
Collision Alert lets you know if you’re going to reply to an email in the shared mailbox that someone else is already replying to. This is very useful in customer support, where customer queries reach many agents, and anyone can start replying to any of the queries.
Collision alert will be seen when
1. A user enters a conversation where another user is replying to any email in the same conversation.
2. A user clicks on the reply window for any email in a conversation where another user is already replying to an email in the same conversation.
1. If a user starts replying to an email and navigates away; or closes the Gmail tab without sending, or trashes the email, then the collision alert immediately disappears for other users. If she starts replying again, the collision alert will come back for the other users.
2. If a user starts replying to an email and puts her laptop/pc in sleep mode, then the collision alert will be visible to other users for the next 10 minutes only.